Monday, December 19, 2011

Review of Bloodstone by Nancy Holzner




Boston’s diverse South End is known for its architecture and great restaurants, not its body count. So when mutilated human corpses begin turning up in the area, the entire city takes notice. The killer—dubbed the South End Reaper—uses a curved blade for his grisly work. And even though there’s no real evidence pointing to a paranormal culprit, the deaths are straining the already-tense relations between Boston’s human and inhuman residents.
As the bodies pile up, Vicky, her formidable aunt Mab, and her werewolf boyfriend Kane investigate, only to find that the creature behind the carnage is after something much more than blood…

My Thoughts:
Bloodstone is the third book in author Nancy Holzner's Deadtown series. I haven’t yet read the first two but had to check out this book, which I won in a contest. I was very happy that I did! I’ve now got book 1 (Deadtown), book 2 (Hellforged) and book 4 (Darklands) on my “to buy” list. This is a great UF book! Sometimes, when you start in the middle of a series you are immediately lost, and it doesn’t get better. This did not happen at all with this book. I am definitely reading the first 2 and the one after it just to check out the build up and the background, but it was easily a stand-alone book. I guess you could say it was a story within a story, and a darned good one at that!
Demon hunter Victory (Vicky) Vaughn has a one-track mind, hunt down the bad guys. Action filled, with a bit of romance tucked in the best places, this book grabbed me from the beginning and held on tight. Kane, Vicky’s werewolf boyfriend (very appealing) plays a big part in the book as well. I can’t wait to read the backstory on them * smile *.
I absolutely adored Aunt Mab and Vicky’s niece Maria. They were well written characters that I’d like to get to know better. I just know we’ll see more of them in future books.
Of course, there are the characters you love to hate as well, like Pryce, Vicky’s “cousin”, who’s demon father is killing off innocents to bring Pryce back.
I found Tina, a zombie and former apprentice of Vicky’s, a bit annoying, but liked her much better by the end of the book.
Vicky’s roommate, a vampire named Juliet, intrigues me. Can’t wait to see more of her. She is here, gone, here, gone in this book.
I really enjoyed the normal part of Vicky’s family. They were quite real to me. Showing off the “norms” in a UF is always a good strategy and make for interesting situations.
Deadtown is filled with zombies, werewolves, shapeshifters and other supes, forced to live where they are told and to adhere to the rules humans have set out for them and they aren’t too happy about it.
Great plot, lots of mystery, suspense and mythology mixed in. I loved the world building (even in this third book of the series), the style of writing and the kick butt ways of Vicky, Kane and Aunt Mab. Of course, the humour and zingy attitudes make everything even better. Can’t wait to get the rest of the series so I can devour it like this one.



I give Bloodstone
                                                                      
                                                               5/5 Books


Buy this book:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bloodstone-Deadtown-Novel-Nancy-Holzner/dp/044102100X
Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bloodstone-nancy-holzner/1100486354
Penguin: http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780441021000,00.html?Bloodstone_Nancy_Holzner

Check out more of Nancy Holzner at her website:
http://nancyholzner.wordpress.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment